Wine, wine and more wine!
As I write this I am sailing down the Danube river through Austria on AmaWaterways gorgeous ship AmaCerto enjoying a 7 night wine themed river cruise.
If you know anything about a river cruise with AmaWaterways you probably know that they include wine and beer for both lunch and dinner (and champagne for breakfast!) – but what you might not know is that on a wine themed cruise there are so many more opportunities to discover new favorites during several tastings that are included, such as the tour and tasting at Castle Gobelsburg pictured below.
I can’t speak for every single wine themed cruise, but on this one there is a vineyard from California named Graveyard Vineyards that is hosting even MORE wine tastings.
So what does that look like? Well here’s our experience during a week on AmaCerto
- Monday – board ship – lunch (with wine) – Dinner at Chef’s Table with several courses and wine pairings – late night City Illuminations tour (outstanding cruise along Budapest waterfront with buildings lighted)
- Tuesday – Morning excursion consisting of Budapest city walk, city market then back to the ship for lunch and an afternoon wine tasting courtesy Graveyard Vineyards and a terrific dinner in the main dining room
- Wednesday – Breakfast (with Champagne), Lunch (with wine), Dinner (with wine) then an evening of traditional Viennese fun with lots of wine, dancing & song at Winery & Heuriger Christ
- Thursday – Breakfast (forgot the champagne) then excursion -Bike ride in Vienna then lunch (with wine). Mid-afternoon wine tasting and aroma sampling courtesy Graveyard Vineyards then an after dinner excursion to Castle Gobelsburg for wine tastings
- Friday – Hike to Durnstein castle then wine and apricot tasting in Durnstein, Austria. Back to the ship for lunch with wine then late afternoon excursion to Castle Clam for a wine tasting before dinner (with wine)
- Saturday – Most people with full day excursions so late breakfast (champagne if desired) then late dinner in private dining with plenty of wine!
- Sunday – Breakfast (champagne again??) – lunch (wine again??) – pre-dinner champagne toast to the week that has been – pre-dinner Oktoberfest celebration in port of Passau (lots of beer) – dinner (with wine)
- Monday – Time to leave, but friends made and experiences shared will last a lifetime….
Oh – and it is TOTALLY not just about the wine…this was an outstanding cruise with terrific tours included – much more on the highlight destinations of Budapest, Vienna, Durnstein, Linz & more coming up on future blog posts
Oh…and the cuisine!
To learn more about AmaWaterways, River Cruising, or all sorts of other vacation planning just get in touch with “Your friends….in the travel business” at EZTravelPad